Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Wednesday Wotsit


Extract of Will penned by Abraham BECK in March 1827. " .... to my dear wife Ann Beck .......... last line on this page ... my property the Gop?????????? in Union Court, Old Brentford".
Have found Ann owned at least 10 properties including number 56 High St Old Brentford. Mrs Anne Beck owned this ‘house and yard’ at the time of the tithe apportionment in 1839 and the occupier was Richard Brown. Can anyone help with the name of the property beginning 'Gop'

4 comments:

Stephanie V said...

I make it 'Gopyholds' but that doesn't really help much, does it? What a great document to have. And what wonderful handwriting. Hard to read but so very tidy.

Angie said...

Of course, Stephanie!! It say's COPYHOLD as opposed to FREEHOLD. Thank you so much, that has help so much. I should have looked at the words 'save & except my property'. Back to the drawing board! I have learnt masses of things from this wonderful document.

Stephanie V said...

Oh, I'm so happy that I helped. It didn't feel like I was at the time. Looking forward to hearing more about this will.

Beanie Mouse said...

Just occurred to me - if any of these places are southern England and you want current photos, please shout at me. With the farting around I do, I may actually be passing....!!!